Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The ever so popular battle of FOOD.

I have been told my many "experienced mothers" that if they could do it all over again, they would have lightened up A LOT when it came to battling with food and their children. I found myself agreeing, and trying to remember that in my own life. However, as a mom, I think most of us have a sense of obligation to ensure your child is getting a well balanced, nutritious diet. 

 My sweet spirited little daughter is also very strong willed, and to this day I absolutely cannot figure out where she got that! ;)

Saying "NO" to noodles. 
It took her a few weeks to stomach baby cereal…so at about 7 months, after weeks of spitting, sloppiness, and denial, she finally decided she would eat oats. AWESOME! I then slowly started making different fruit and veggie purees, which she surprisingly did not mind most of them. At about 10 months, I decided…hey…I think its time you start trying to eat some mashed/ table foods. And from my understanding, this is a very normal time to do this. Well…Addie thought otherwise. The only things she will eat are simple carbs and cheese. Almost Everything else doesn't even make it in the mouth, or touch her without tears. And we all know that a diet of formula, bread, and cheese does not quite cut it. And don't even get me started on her lack of desire in drinking from anything but her bottle. 

So the question…do I battle with her and keep trying the big girl foods, or go back to making pureed fruit/ veggie mixes? Well, fighting with a kid gets old real quick, and I myself don't desire to spend the time I have with her doing that…and being that she is in the 1st percentile for weight, she's not exactly at a point where nutrition can be skimped on. Thus, today, I found myself back at the blender, making some new creations. And what do you know, she ate them just fine! No questions asked.

Apple/Spinach!
I guess we won't be where we had thought, sharing meals with Addie by the time she is one. And I guess that is okay. Just another one of our "parenting expectations" that is inaccurate!

I know these things are all SO SMALL in the grand scheme of things, but they are still big in the sense that it DOES fill up much of days'  of efforts, thoughts, and worries. So they are important to process though and learn. And as mom with my first kid, hey, I'm just trying to figure it out! Aren't we all?!

So, if you don't know where to find me, just look by the blender, I'll be there…but my child will be well fed and happy :)

What we like to call the "Grandma without teeth- silly pucker- lip smack!"





1 comment:

  1. ADDISON JOY!!! What a STINKER! Does G-ma Pammy remember a dark haired little bundle of stubborn fire many moons ago??? ;)

    ReplyDelete