Thursday, January 3, 2013

{INSPIRED} Favorite projects of 2012!

I credit Pinterest for rejuvenating my craftiness and love to be creative. Where has this website been all my life?! I have always loved being creative, but after my freshman year of college ended, {and life got crazy} I found myself putting craftiness as less as a priority! What I have found, is that I NEED to make time for this. It is one of the main things {bedsides running} that truly recharges me!

Among my numerous crafty projects in 2012, these are my favorite ones:

I found this previously gold painted antique mirror at a garage sale this fall for $10.00. 
All I did for this was:
1. Cover the center {mirror part} with a large plastic bag
2. Tape the edges down around the inside {making sure the tape was under the edge of the frame}
3. Spray painted 2 coats of black paint on the outside! 



I think this may be one of my favorite projects & it was very simple! 
I had a bunch of old mason jars- so I grabbed a few to have some fun with!

1. I squirted some acrylic paint I had laying around inside of them {enough to fill the whole bottom of the jar to about 1 cm}
2. Twirled the jar a bunch to move the paint around
3. Tipped upside down to sit for a few minutes on an old  bag so that the paint would move downward
**I occasionally had to add more paint, and repeat these steps a few times in order to cover all of the glass!


I think this is my favorite thing I made all year! This precious picture now resides in Addie's room! 
All I did for this was:

1. Paint a couple coats of acrylic paint on a blank canvas for the background
2. Get Addie's foot and handprints on there {as mess free as possible} with a different color paint, and then paint the heart in the center
3. Paint the quote with a 3rd color of choice! 
4. Staple some ribbon on the back of the canvas so it can be hung

I hope she is inspired by these words and chooses to live by them as she grows older!
"Act Justly, Love Deeply, Walk Humbly"

**Click here for the link to the blog post who inspired me to make this!


This was another Pinterest inspired project!

1. I cut out a 4x6 scrap book piece of paper, and decorated it as "manly" as I could
2. I stuck it in a 4x6 frame, and added a white board marker
3. Tadaa! now I have a fun way of telling Sam all the reasons why I love him!




I had the honor of making the centerpieces and programs for my best friend's wedding this past September! Wow, was is fun to do this! For the centerpieces- I was on a budget, but still wanted it to look fun & classy {just like the bride!}
1. I collected the mason jars that I needed {many of them were empty cleaned out jars from old food items that I got clean with Goo Gone, and others were store bought at Walmart-  the cheapest place to get them}
2. Tied pieces of colored raffia around the top of the jar
3. Cut off a flower from bouquets I found at the dollar store
4. Hot glued a penny to the bottom of the flower {where the stem would go} so that they would sink in the jar.
5. Added floating candles found at Ikea {which was the cheapest place to find these!}
All in all I think they turned out beautiful and were VERY inexpensive! They turned out to be less than $1 per jar! 

This one was EASY and FUN! I had a bunch of old keep sakes from the time Sam and I started dating until now... and never quite knew what to do with them! So I found this idea on Pinterest as well, and went with it!
1. I bought a large frame 
2. Then I collaged all of our tickets etc. onto the fake picture/ piece of paper that comes with the frame, attached with rubber cement {so the paper wouldn't wrinkle} and that's all!!



My aunt's dog was apparently being feed multiple times without the other family member knowing that she had already been fed! She came to me, needing something simple they could use to let the other family members know if the dog had been fed or not!

1. I bought a small wooden square, acrylic paint, small wooden dog cutout, twine, and brass hooks {with screws on the end} from Michael's
2. I decorated each side with paint and hot glued the painted dog cutout on as well
3. Then I tied the twine onto each of the 2 hooks, and screwed them into the top of the wooden square.
They hung this above the dog food dish, and now all they have to do is flip the sign around to the appropriate side!

This is another one of my favorites, and was inspired by Pinterest as well! {click here to see} 
It was made for my best friend and her husband for their first married Christmas together!

1. I copied and pasted the words to their "first dance" onto a word document, and repeated the words  until the page was full.
2. I then cut out a tree shape with those lyrics after printing them out on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of white card stock
3. I cut out a small rose from her wedding bouquet, as well as two small hearts from red card stock
4. I tied 2 pieces of thin twine around one of the branches
5. I hot glued the hearts on top of the ends of the twine
6. I stuck the flower in-between the loop holes of the twine
7. I then put the sheet of paper {with everything attached} inside an 11x14 frame that had space between the matting and the glass.

Hooray for fun homemade gifts!

Hopefully you can be inspired to create something yourself, whatever that may look like in your life!



 {Note: some of these projects were inspired by other blogs/ users on Pinterest. Credit is given to those with links attached to the "pin"}

No comments:

Post a Comment